Saturday, January 12, 2013

Please, Sir, I want some more...

In my humble opinion, this is one of the most nutritious and filling breakfasts ever! Hot oatmeal cereal, sweetened or not, with milk or not, some dried fruit and nuts or with fruit on the side.

Old Fashioned oats is good enough for this granola girl but you may prefer steel cut oats.  I've even picked up the 'quick cook' oats since learning that they are nutritionally identical to the 'old fashioned' and I can make my own "instant oatmeal" packet-like servings with the 'quick cook' variety.

I prefer my hot cereal with a bit of almond milk and a few pumps of the Parkay spray, a dusting of cinnamon and dry Stevia sweetener and a few raisins tossed into the oatmeal and water before cooking.

Two methods of cooking I have success with:

1)  For old fashioned oats, I use a large 4-cup, glass measuring bowl.  Mix together 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of raisins.  Cook for 5-6 minutes on power level 6. 

2)  For "quick cook" oats, I place 1/2 cup oats and 3/4 c. water with a few raisins in a regular microwavable cereal bowl.  Add your sweetener and any other spices, too.   Microwave for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes on high.  This will make your oatmeal a bit stickier than method number one but I love making my own "instant oatmeal" to my own taste and liking. 

Just like those 'flavored instant oatmeal' packets you buy at the store, you can  DIY (Do It Yourself)) at home; this is so much healthier because you know what has been added.  Add some of these to your cereal after it's finished cooking

*half a banana with 1 tsp of cocoa powder

*sugar and cinnamon (I use stevia and cinnamon) with pureed pumpkin or leftover sweet potato
*grated apple with a tablespoon of raw almonds, walnuts or pecans, chopped
*blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries and drizzle of 100% maple syrup
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers